Broadreach is hiring Skippers/Sailing Instructors!
Sailing Instructors/Skippers needed in the Caribbean to lead summer live-aboard diving, sailing and marine science programs for teens and college students. Broadreach is an IYT (International Yacht Training) partner school and offers courses from “Introduction to Yachting” to “Flotilla Skipper”. Skippers sail and live with students aboard 40-50 ft. catamarans and monohulls, so they must be enthusiastic about working with teenagers.
Broadreach programs are limited to 12 students per program and are led by a team of two to three instructors. Program instructors live and travel with students 24/7 for weeks at a time, so a high level of energy is necessary along with strong leadership and communication skills. Our programs range from 12 to 31 days and can be mentally and physically challenging for students and instructors, so a positive attitude is key.
In addition to sailing instruction and skippering the yacht, instructors are expected to help out with all aspects of the program including supervising students 24/7, managing group dynamics, assisting students with cooking and cleaning duties, completing course paperwork, supporting scuba training and other program activities. Skippers work alongside a dive instructor to successfully lead a program from sailing, instruction, leading onshore excursions, to group management and more. This fun and rewarding position requires a strong desire to be a positive role model to students to encourage personal growth and to promote leadership development.
Contract length varies from two to three months starting in late May through early to late August.
· Licensed US Coast Guard Captain, Yacht Master or equivalent experience.
· Operate a yacht over 45 feet from standard operations to sail training.
· Small boat handling skills. You will be expected to regularly operate RIBs and small boats with 6hp to 50hp outboards.
· Able to confidently anchor in tight anchorages, maneuver in tight harbors under power
· Understanding of basic yacht and diesel engine maintenance.
· Experience in multiday sailing trips/deliveries/chartering.
· Experience teaching sailing preferred.
· Experience working with teens and young adults preferred.
· Passionate about mentoring and motivating students.
· Good decision making skills, flexibility, and the ability to think on your feet and adapt to changing environments while maintaining the safety and health of all students.
· Success working in team settings.
· Good physical health and stamina to actively participate and encourage students throughout program duration.
· A positive and team-oriented attitude.
· Able to attend staff training in St. Martin in early June.
Sign In or Register to apply to this job.